"I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter."
-Winston Churchill

Saturday, May 15, 2010

 Today I'd like to welcome David Fingerman,  author of Edging Past Reality and soon to be released Silent Kill. 



Thank you so much for being with us today.
Thank you so much for having me.

Please tell us a little about yourself.....
I really love this writing lifestyle I've developed for myself.  I'm not much of a 'people' person and I enjoy the days when I wake up and wonder if I have to deal with any human contact that day (not including phone and emails).  If not, to hell with shower and getting dressed.  I have no problem sitting at my computer all day and writing.  Welcome to my world.

What do you see as your influences on your writing?
On days when I do have to be out and about in the real world, pretty much anything that touches me has its influences.  Probably the biggest influences though, are when I worked in the courtroom.  I saw the best and worst that people can be.  Made for fantastic character sketches.

 Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
When I'm writing horror, coming up with something I've never seen done before.  If it has been done before, giving it a new and original twist.  In novel writing (no matter the genre) it's that middle part of the novel I find most challenging ~ All modesty aside, I think I'm pretty good at drawing in the reader with the opening.  I just want to keep them excitedly turning the pages until the end.

 Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?
New York Times best seller would be grand, as would selling movie rights.

 How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set
 formula?
Very informally.  I try to always carry a notepad and pen (harder in the summer) with me.  When an idea strikes, I write it down.  Once I really get going on the idea, the characters and plot start developing themselves.  I build an outline as I go, more so to keep the timeline straight. and character traits consistent.  

 What drew you to write about horror?
I have to thank 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents.'  I was probably too young to be watching that show in the first place (I think I was six or seven) and there was an episode called "An Unlocked Window."  Scared the bejeebies out of me ~ and I loved it!  Haunted me for nights but I couldn't tell my parents or they wouldn't let me watch Alfred Hitchcock anymore.  What scared me more than anything in that one episode was there was nothing supernatural - just human beings dealing in a horrible situation.  As I grew and learned to write - wanting to scare the hell out of people with my words was my choice.  That episode always lurked in the back of my mind.

 How do you keep your writing different from the vast variety of
 stories (in your genre) out there today?
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I've got one hell of a warped and unique imagination.

 How did your title come into play?
Talking about my book of horror and speculative fiction short stories, "Edging Past Reality" is the title of the book and also the title of one of the stories.  I thought that encapsulated the theme of the book.  In "Silent Kill" (the novel I'm promoting even though it's not released yet), well, without giving too much away, Silent Kill is a command to a cute little rottweiler.  Okay, he's not so cute, and certainly not little.

 Can you tell us a little bit about the main characters and/or the plot in your book?
Talking about "Silent Kill," Louise Miller is a lesbian cop.  Dealing with the good ol' boy mindset is hard enough, but then one of her few friends on the force is found dead. She teams up with her brother, Andrew, a rookie deputy sheriff to track down the killer.  Elias is just one crazy psychodude with a sadistic sense of humor.



 What were your feelings when you first novel was accepted for
 publication?
Elated, ecstatic, and when I could breath again ~ FINALLY!

 Who is your favorite author? What genre of books do you read?
Harlan Ellison is my favorite author.  I read a wide variety of books, mostly fiction.  I do enjoy history and biographies occasionally, but in biographies the person has to be dead or I feel it's incomplete.  I'm not a fan of literary fiction or romance, but if the writing is excellent I'll most likely enjoy it.  That being said, I read mostly mysteries, horror, and suspense/thrillers.

 Are you working on any projects right now?
Too many at once.  I've got one horror novel that's about half done, another horror novel about one quarter done. Because of an idea I recently had, I've got an opening chapter of what will be a suspense/thriller.  And now I'm in the mood to do a short story or two or three . . .

 If you could leave readers with one legacy, what would you want it to
 be?
"I love his books!  He's my favorite author!"

What advice would you give to writers just starting out in this genre?
How To Books and classes are fine, but they don't amount to much if you don't write every day.  And if possible, join a writers' group.

 Any last comments you would like to add?.....(upcoming events,  titles, etc. )
Keep an eye out for "Silent Kill."  It should be released soon.  Also, feel free to subscribe to my blog - it's at my website (see below).


Is there a website that readers may find you at?
Website: www.davidfingerman.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/david.fingerman?ref=profile
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davfin23

David is on virtual book tour with Authors Supporting Authors.  You can see his dates and destinations from his website.

David's next stop will be May 21, guest blogging at Magician Of Oz.

Leave a comment here today for David,  and you will be entered into a drawing to win a copy of his book!

Follow my blog and leave a comment and you will also be entered into a drawing to win a book light for your nightly reading pleasure.


HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

No comments:

ShareThis