"I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter."
-Winston Churchill

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Interview with author Scott Nicholson - Speed Dating with the Dead

Author Scott Nicholson has written 12 thrillers, 60 short stories, four comics series, and six screenplays. He's also a freelance editor and journalist. He lives in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, where he tends an organic garden, successfully eludes stalkers, and generally lives the dream. He's online at www.hauntedcomputer.com.




Welcome to Immorality and Beyond Scott. May I offer you a beverage?


SN: A tantalizing tea please.


Coming right up...

Now that we're settled in, let's get started shall we?


BK: What inspired you to pen this novel?
SN: I hosted a paranormal conference at an old Appalachian hotel, and while we didn't stir up demons (that I know of), a lot of strange things happened...I did a couple of hunts there and once had the sensation of being touched by something that I couldn't see. It is the only experience I ever had that I might consider "supernatural."


BK: How did your title come into play?
SN: We had to schedule the group hunts so that everyone could rotate and get a chance at the most popular haunted sites, so I coined the term "speed dating"--50 minutes and then on to the next.


BK: How do you keep your writing different from all others in your genre?
SN: I use real Appalachian settings and experiences and legends, and I also try to explore the mysteries of faith and love in the midst of the unexplainable.


BK: What was the hardest thing about writing this particular novel?
SN: I wanted a subtle, creepy novel but I also didn't want it to move too slowly, so I brought in some demons and played a little on the psychology of ghost hunters. It was a challenge to balance suspense with action, and hopefully it works for the reader.


BK: Where do you get your ideas?
SN: I love to collect mountain legends, and I also worked as a newspaper reporter for years, so I got exposed to a wide segment of society and all the wacky things we humans do.


BK: What is the craziest thing you've ever wanted to write about?
SN: Well, I'd be afraid to write my real autobiography, although I guess I let a little of me out with each tale.


BK: What is one thing your readers would be most surprised to know about you?
SN: I'm pretty spiritual and simple. I love my organic garden. I have a Post-it on my computer that says "Do good and be kind."


BK: Are you currently working on any projects?
SN: Several. My next is Chronic Fear, a follow-up to the bestseller Liquid Fear, and I will probably do an apocalyptic novel this fall.

BK: Where can readers connect with you?
SN: I'm "hauntedcomputer" on Facebook, Twitter, and blogspot, and my website is http://www.hauntedcomputer.com

BK: What is one piece of advice you can offer to new and aspiring writers?
SN: Keep at it. and don't be afraid to take chances, and don't listen to anyone who tells you to stop.

When Wayne "Digger" Wilson hosts a paranormal conference at the haunted White Horse Inn, he has motives beyond searching for the inn's legendary ghosts.

Years ago, he made a honeymoon promise to his wife Beth that if one of them died, the survivor would return to the White Horse to summon the other's lost spirit. Now she's dead and Digger's back, with the daughter they conceived during that fateful honeymoon sixteen years before. And the ghost hunters are stirring up ancient evils that were better left in peace, because the inn's basement is home to a circle of demons that have been waiting for Wayne to return.

They want his teenage daughter Kendra, and they'll play whatever tricks they need in order to satisfy their dark desires. And at the White Horse Inn, not even angels can be trusted . . .



Thank you so much for taking time to chat with me today Scott. It's been a pleasure and I wish you much success in the future.

No comments:

ShareThis