"I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter."
-Winston Churchill

Sunday, March 27, 2011

BLB Bling Blitz - At The Round Table with Marsha Canham

Marsha Canham

Welcome to the Round Table.  May I offer you a beverage before we begin?
Ohh, I would love to try a Zesty Zombie *s*



Here's your drink delivered by our very own Zombie,  Zar :).  Enjoy!

Thank you so much for taking time to chat with me today.  It's so nice to have you at the Round Table.

It’s wonderful to be here *looking around and sipping my drink*  Thank you for having me.


BK:  Please tell us a bit about yourself....
I live in Canada, in a small town north of Toronto, Ontario.  I was happily married up until last year, but that story would require two more Zesty Zombies LOL.  I have one son, and three wonderful grandchildren.  I have been published since 1984, but actually writing for much longer, having started when my son entered kindergarten.  I wanted to be a stay at home mom, but we weren’t exactly in  financial nirvana, so I had to find something that might contribute to the household income.

BK:  What inspired you to pen this novel?
My editor at the time suggested I write a Regency novel…which made my hair stand on end.  But then I found an obscure mention in article on Napoleon which mentioned an aborted attempt to change places with his brother and escape prison.  That set all the gears in motion.

BK:  What draws you to write in this genre?
Errol Flynn. *s*  I had the hugest crush on him when I was young.  His movies had me on the edge of my seat and I always envisioned myself as the heroine being rescued at sea, or firing arrows in Sherwood Forest.

 Errol Flynn

BK:  How do you keep your writing different from all the other novels in this genre?
I think I concentrate more on making my books historical adventure romances rather than just historical romances.  There has to be action and the characters have to be in physical jeopardy through much of the book to keep “me” interested in writing their story.


BK:  Who is your favorite character and why?
In Swept Away, I love old Aunt Florence.  She was modelled after my ex husband’s aunt Flo, right down to the feisty sense of humour and the tendancy to whack someone across the shins to get their attention.  She was a lovely lady and I hope I have done her memory proud.


BK:  Which character would you most invite to dinner?
I think I would have loved to invite Napoleon Bonaparte for dinner.  He would be a fascinating guest and I could see myself being genuinely mesmerized by him.

BK:  What is your favorite part about writing?
It used to be watching the FedEx truck pull out of the driveway.  That one sight represented a year’s worth of research, planning, plotting, writing long isolated hours into the night, revising, editing, revising again.

BK:  Did you find any particular challenges during the writing of this novel?
Well…the Regency period is very tricky to write about, full of manners and correctness and …just envision the challenge of writing a Pride and Prejudice.  I had to keep the flavour of the time period, yet keep my own voice and style and inject the twists and turns, the action and adventure my books are known for.

BK:  Are you currently working on any projects?
I am working on the sequel to The Iron Rose, another seafaring pirate adventure, this time featuring the two brothers, Gabriel and Jonas Dante.

BK:  Any advice for new aspiring authors?
Write, write, and keep writing.  With ebooks making such a dramatic surge in recent months, there are a lot of indie authors publishing straight to Amazon or Smashwords, but if a writer doesn’t want to get lost in the herd, she still has to do her homework.  The writing has to be good, the story strong, the characters memorable.  Whether writing romance, horror, fantasy, or science fiction…it’s the words that matter and the pictures they pain in the reader’s mind.

BK:  Where can readers find you?
My website is www.marshacanhamebooks.com
I am on Facebook as well:  http://www.facebook.com/marsha.canham
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/marshacanham
And my blog, Caesars Through the Fence http://marshacanham.wordpress.com/
Swept Away can be found at
 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Swept-Away-ebook/dp/B003XVZAB2/
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/20084
Barnes and Noble:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Swept-Away/Marsha-Canham/e/2940011089893/?itm=9&USRI=marsha+canham


Fun Facts:

BK:  Fantasy or Horror?
Fantasy

BK:  Day or Night?
I am definitely a night person.

BK:  Favorite Drink?
Margaritas
 

BK:  Favorite Movie?
Braveheart

BK:  What is a must have to write?
I must have a medium point ball point pen and a tablet of lined paper.

BK:  If you could possess a supernatural power,  what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to fly.  Apart from the gliding and soaring, imagine how easy it would be to get from place to place.

BK:  Favorite Book?
Gone With the Wind

BK:  Favorite Author?
Michael Connelly

BK:  Favorite Song?
The Way We Were

BK:  Favorite Saying?
May I make it a favourite quote instead? “I believe everything happens for a reason.  People change so that you can learn to let go.  Things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they’re right. And sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”  Marilyn Monroe.

BK:  What is one thing your readers would be most surprised to know about you?
Probably they would find it hard to believe I’ve never been on a ship, never been to sea, and I tend to get seasick if I stay in a pool too long *s*

BK:  What do you hope readers will most take away from your writing?
A sense of adventure.  I hope they can “see”  the scenes as I try to write them.

BK:  If someone could describe you in one word,  what would it be?
Loyal.

Thank you so much for being at the Round Table today.  It's been such a pleasure chatting with you and I wish you much success in the future.

Thank you so much for having me.



The cover blurb….

Swept Away transports readers to Regency England as a young woman rescues a mysterious man, only to find love, danger, destiny....
"They have to know the truth. Before it is too late." Those were the half-naked stranger's only words before he lost consciousness in the shallow tidal pool. Annaleah Fairchilde, heiress and noblewoman, soon learned the identity of the man she saved: Emory Althorpe, adventurer, accused traitor, and Napoleon's spy. Even as she bound the dangerous scoundrel's wounds, she fell deeper under the spell of a man handsome as the devil, sent to her by fate.
He remembered nothing. Only the need to escape. Emory Althorpe was wanted for treason, yet his only hope was a shadowy memory hovering just beyond his grasp, and beautiful Anna, who aroused unexpected passions. He had no choice but to abduct her, needing her to gain access to London's ballrooms, where he could prove his innocence. Together they raced into the face of danger, determined to find the key to his past and live--or die--together, as destiny decreed....

 Until next time,

No comments:

ShareThis